AstroThoughts

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

So, I got my car today. A 2000 Honda Prelude S, in satin silver metallic. For 8 years now, I've been loving this car like my 3rd born child (I'm going to equally love my first, second and third born children. The fourth one, however, may not be so lucky....). I was looking for it for the last few months, but seriously started looking after I got my new job in January. And today is the day that FINALLY, after enviously looking at Preludes and wishing that I was the one driving it, I got the chance to drive one. And it's simply lovely.

I went to see about 6 Preludes, and talked to several other people who were selling them before I went to a dealership last Saturday. What a fortunate thing that was, because I saw one that was perfect for me. In the span of 5 days, I saw, test drove, purchased, signed, got approved for a loan, put a down payment, and bought and received the car. It doesn't even seem real right now. I went driving around with Chinko (an entirely new name for him, but I like it, even though I just thought of it) for about an hour and a half today, and it was just glorious. Everything fits me just right in that car. Wait, not that car. MY car. I have to get used to saying that. Everything is just as I like it. It's what I always dreamed it would be like. It's almost poetic how I finally bought it, because I was the only one of my friends who had never been driven in one, or driven one myself. And I was the one who obsessed over it for so long, since the early days of high school. And I was the one who had it on my desktop wallpaper for so long. And I still know all the specs about it (even more than some car salespeople). And now it's sitting downstairs in the visitor parking (I didn't have time to even get a real parking spot underground).

And it's not like I just went out and bought this. I considered SO many other alternatives in the past 4 weeks. All sorts of weird cars that, now looking back, look absolutely retarded to me. If I hadn't bought this car, I would have always looked longingly at them as I drove by them. It's like we were meant for each other, and the ending of this movie is a happy one.

Even though it's a large chunk of money out of my measly salary, I totally think it's worth it. I won't ever regret this decision, unless it blows up tomorrow as I start it up. Less than likely.

How did the first drive go you ask? I pulled out listening to The Vines' "Rock With Me", which sounds remarkably like "Ride With Me". I prefer to think of it as ride, rather than rock. And it was glorious. The car had been parked outside at the dealership for a long time, so the car was cold to the bone. But after about 15 minutes on the road, it was warmed up and ready to get going on the highway. I'll wait until the weekend to really open Astro up (what else would I name him? And yes, he's a him) on the highway. I want to get him up to 200 because I promised myself I'd do that as soon as I got a car. But the first ride was great. I adjusted everything to exactly how I like it (I may have to work on the reclination/height of the seat to get it just perfect), and I love the fact that I'll never have to adjust the seat because I'll always be the only one who drives it. I dropped my keys when I finally parked at my place, and they fell beside the seat, and I took almost 5 minutes to get them, because they were right below my seat. When you see my car, you'll understand why that's a difficult place to get to. And I forgot to take pictures of it at the dealership and everywhere, but I'll get some of those this weekend. Like people at work said, buying a car happens about 4 or 5 times in a lifetime if you're lucky. But the first one is the one you'll remember forever. Once it actually sets in as reality, I'll start remembering it.

And I'll always be driving now. All those rides I owe people, they're all due. And they will be paid in full. And then some. Because I'm like the kid in that commercial who say something like "The doctors told me that I'd never walk." Then he has some treatment, and you see him hitting a baseball and running to first base, after which he says, "They were right.....I'm never going to walk". The idea is that instead of walking, he's going to be so happy that he's ambulatory again, that he'll always run. In the same way, I'm going to drive as much as possible. Not for stupid things, but you get the point.

Finally.

Finally Stretchy has a new home.

Finally.

~Gers-O

btw, props to ill la la for the primary props about the car on her site.