AstroThoughts

Monday, December 13, 2004

Dear Astro,

I have alot of ideas that I think are profound, and that I think I'm going to hold a long time from now as well. I hope the things that I'm sort of planning for, come true. It's like how I expect that being nice to someone today will lead to something good for me or for someone else later on down the road. It would really suck if in the end, you got nothing for doing the right thing. I really hope that there's an overall appreciation for every good thing that every person does.

Anyways, I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind today, and it was really good. The special effects were really good; award-winning I think. But maybe they're just really regular special effects. Anyways, the idea was really good. I'm sure Jim Carey thinks he's really lucky that he gets roles in movies like this. The Truman Show was another great thinking movie that he was in, so I hope he continues to do movies like it. It was also the first time in a while that I watched a movie, and I still haven't become jaded by watching too many movies. I've missed so many "great" movies over the years, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. There are so many movies that are really forumlaic, where you have a chase scene, a family tension scene, a shootout, a brief nudity scene, and then a mad dash at the end of the movie where everything works out perfectly to bring everything back to normal and then it's all sealed by a kiss. Those movies are not worth the time, although good cinematography or a well-written plot will save it. I watched Elf yesterday as well, and that was a really really good movie. It's a wholesome movie, which is really rare to find. I try to limit the amount of gratuitous sex/immorality that I watch in movies (hence the reason why I won't watch The Girl Next Door, the American Pie sequels, and all of those stupid teen movies), so it was great to see a movie that was an honest-to-goodness kids movie with really funny scenes that made myself and two other guys my age laugh.

The same thing goes for TV. I've cut my TV viewing in half over the last few months, taking out the immoral shows that really just capitalize on teenagers/adults wanting to see sex and immorality in general. Smallville is slowly slipping into that category as well since they raunched things up this season. The Apprentice has flashes of retardedness that's entertaining, but in the end, just depraved. I figure if I can cut out TV completely by the end of the year, except for 1 or 2 shows, AND change that time to reading time, I'll have my PFPC by the end of March.

I think it's an attainable goal. From what I've been told by absolutely everyone at work, "if you're not learning/getting bettter at your job, then you're dead." I'll be damned if I'm gonna die, so I'll gladly put aside a few hours of TV to make myself super good at my job. You can't complain about something you don't have, or something that's not going your way, because if you don't have something, or something's not going your way, it's because you haven't tried hard enough. I'm believing that more and more, because I see people who want something and then work really hard to get it. I also see people who want something and don't work hard for it. Those people are lazy, and as a result, they don't achieve their goals. I also see people who want something, but that something is really easy to get (read: set their sights very low), so they end up "achieving their goals" but that goal is nothing of significance. This is another type of laziness, just dressed up as hard work.

So I hope I fit into the first group. But more than that, I hope I can lead that first group, or be among the leaders. When, or if, I get to that level, then I'll ease up. But for right now, it's time to gear up, and start working harder. Because I don't wanna end up being anything but great; in my own eyes.

Love,

Gers-O