AstroThoughts

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

So I did my first mutual fund order today. It was a sell order, and I entered it and then hit "submit" and it turns out another associate had already done it. So, my first attempt at transacting some securities wasn't exactly successful. But, I'm sure tomorrow will have more opportunities. I know for a fact that I'm transferring $20 000 tomorrow. That'll definitely be a highlight for me. I know that's not that much to some people, like my boss who did a bond trade today for $1.4 million, but that's about $20 500 more than I've ever transacted in my life.

My preferential treatment by my boss hasn't stopped yet either. Apparently he's moving an associate who started a month ago from his desk, so that I can sit right across from my boss. So that guy, who just got settled into his spot will have to move again. I'll ride the preferential treatment wave for as long as possible. Hopefully it won't run out, but I won't waste it while I have it.

I also signed my contract today. I get 10 days of vacation for the next year. That's an insanely low number of days that I have to myself. Well, at least it is when you compare it to the usual month or so that I've taken off pretty much every year. And the 2 to 3 weeks at Christmas. I'm not looking forward to working during the Christmas break. Hopefully I'll be able to still work something out with my boss to get some more time off.

Unrelatedly, my reading time has increased significantly over the past week or 2. I have so many things to read that I'm almost physically forced to start reading more. Plus the books that people have given me to read, and the books I want to read. It adds up. TV time has decreased, mostly because of work. And video games are all but non-existent. Weekends are going to be super good now, since they're my only reprieve from the rest of the week. I hope this saturday I wake up really early to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast and do some reading for my PFP course.

Man, I'm such a geek.

~Gers-O